An Organized Home is A Happy Home
I purchased the ScanSnap 1500 for my home and immediately scanned 3 cabinets full of household documents. I then scanned all my pictures and organized them by child, family surname, and event. Here are some cool things I have done with my ScanSnap:
- I use the Paperless software with it which allows me to organize my documents with tags and search for them any way I want
- I scan any new docs that enter my house every two weeks and then shred them. I have absolutely no paper clutter in my home and can find my documents very easily by using the search feature.
- Preparing my income taxes is a breeze. As I collect items throughout the year that must be included in my taxes, I categorize them as “taxes 2011” and then in January do a search on all of them and send them electronically to my accountant. He says he has never seen anything so efficient!
- I scan all my receipts and retain them for 6 months in case something happens and I need to return something. I also use this information for my budget.
- I just remortgaged my house with a company in a different state and it was a snap to do. They needed about 30 documents from me, all of which were already scanned and filed. I just went into Paperless and emailed them to the mortgage lender. It probably saved me 10 hours of work to search for the documents and then copy and send them.
- I have scanned about 19,000 photos of my family and digital scrapbooking files. I use Adobe Lightroom to organize and categorize them which makes finding them easy. I also make copies of these for my family members so they also now have all the photos they are in.
- Everyone says, “You’re crazy for doing this. What if your hard drive crashes?” Easy. I back up my files every two weeks (during my scanning schedule mentioned in item one), put it on a thumb drive and my husband takes it to work with him (in the event of a fire). That way, if I lose anything it is only the documents that have not been scanned in the last two weeks.
- Saving magazines is a thing of the past. I scan the articles I want to save and discard the magazine.
- When someone asked if I can fax something to them I just email what they need because whatever it is, I already have it scanned.