Five Reasons to be Thankful This Year
With Thanksgiving and the holiday season upon us, the elementary classroom begins to take on a new feel. The excitement and enthusiasm is palpable. As a teacher, it is a great opportunity for me to model gratitude and a thankful heart for my little learners.
I look upon this season as a chance for my students to collaborate both locally and globally to give thanks and give back. Through the use of technology we have the unique opportunity to connect with classrooms, teachers, and professionals around the world. We are no longer limited to pictures in a textbook or ideas on paper. We can actually connect and engage in new and meaningful ways.
So, in light of giving thanks – my top five reasons to be thankful this holiday season:
1. The online community – I love sharing and learning from others. As a classroom teacher it can sometimes feel a little lonely. We have an opportunity to collaborate with one another, but we very rarely have the chance to reach outside of the educational system and tap into the knowledge of other experts. The internet, Twitter, and other social media networks, such as ScanSnap Community, provide me with a chance to connect with other professionals and learn from them.
2. A Platform – Similar to the opportunity to learn from others, I am so thankful for a chance to share. In my opinion, knowledge is worthless if it isn’t shared. I am grateful for a platform and an opportunity to share my voice, experience, and knowledge.
3. Tech Tools – People often ask me how I learned all of the things I know about technology. Quite honestly, the answer is necessity. I strive to live a paperless existence simply because it is a challenge for me to handle all of the notebooks, binders, papers, and handouts I receive on a daily basis. The ability to keep everything safely and securely stored in the cloud has made me a better teacher, colleague, and citizen. The ScanSnap iX500 has made my transition to a paperless lifestyle even more seamless. It is easier than ever to share student work samples, reports, and information with parents and educational stakeholders with the click of a button.
4. Friends and Family – My father passed away unexpectedly almost three years ago. Some of my fondest memories of him are all of the holidays we had a chance to share … especially the last one. At this time of the year, I am so grateful for my friends and family, both near and far, digital and “real life.” I learn so much from all of the amazing people in my life.
5. My Class – I have been blessed to work with some amazing students during my career thus far. Every year, I have the opportunity to connect with a different crew of ambitious and enthusiastic little learners. I am confident that they are going to do amazing things in this world, and for that, I can be grateful too! I have no doubt the innovations and tools we enjoy today will be enhanced or, perhaps even replaced, by the brilliant little third graders sitting in my classroom today.
Happy holidays! Here’s hoping that you have many reasons to be thankful in your own life!
ScanSnap Squad member, Teacher